Counselor Connect is a district-led and championed community of practice, offering high quality professional development, resources, and support for Student Service Professionals to foster the delivery of equitable, accessible, and data-informed services to students in the areas of academic, postsecondary, and social-emotional learning.
June’s Topic: Supporting Adult and Student Wellness
Each month, we will feature some resources and professional development opportunities to align to our Counselor Connect priority topic!
Invest in YOURSELF!
There has never been a better time to invest in yourself! Summer is a perfect time to ramp up your self-care. To help you get started, read 5 Quick Tips to Cultivating Calm in and out of the Classroom and check out the Self-Care Bingo board for ideas. Make a copy for yourself and add all of the things that make you happy! Print and post somewhere as a daily reminder to do something each day that you enjoy.
Resources to Support Student Self-Care
- 75 Calm Down Strategies for Kids – Great for at-home use this summer!
- How Predictable Routines Can Support Students This Summer
- EQ Discipline Redesigned Summer Institute
- Equity, Care and Connection: New SEL Tools and Practices to Support Students and Adults (OnDemand Webinar from Education Week)
- Mental Health Superpowers free kit from Cosmic Kids – A great resource for younger children
Professional Development Opportunities
Looking to participate in some professional learning opportunities over the summer?
There are so many professional learning options available to meet your needs! Listen to a webinar when it works for you, using the preferred platform of your choice! Take a walk and catch up on your favorite podcast or listen to an OnDemand webinar while sitting poolside this summer! Think about what you want to learn more about this summer and start making a list! Check out the Upcoming Events below for a few ideas to get you started. Who says you can’t have fun while learning?
Check out our Keep Indiana Learning & Counselor Connect OnDemand Library!
INTERESTED IN PRESENTING?
We are always looking for educational voices to share expertise, tips, and resources. If you are interested in presenting, co-presenting, or sharing a component of your program, please complete the presenter proposal form here!
- Counselor Connect & Keep Indiana Learning Events
- Keep Indiana Learning Virtual Conference, June 29-30, 2021 | Registration Closed June 1
- Indiana Youth Institute College & Career Conference, June 2-3 | Registration
- ISCA’s Caring for the Counselor: How to Create More Pause for You! June 10, 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. | Registration
- Supporting Students’ Mental Health Through MTSS: Planning for Fall, June 23-24 or August 16-17 | Registration
- School Reentry Series: Supporting Students & Families Through Re-Opening Series, begins July 27 | Registration
- IYI Events
- IASP Events
- INSSWA Events
- ISCA Events
Counselor Connects recorded in September 2020 and beyond can be accessed at our OnDemand site.
- Technology Tips (April 20, 2020)
- Communication Strategies During School Closures (May 7, 2020)
- School Reentry (May 21, 2020)
- How Brain Development, Learning and Behaviors are Affected by Adversity, Part 1 by Dr. Desautels (July 24, 2020) Presentation | Recording | Resources
- Resiliency Through the Adversity: Our Brains and Bodies Respond when the Conditions of Safety and Connection are Present, with Dr. Desautels | Recordings (September 23 & 30 2020)
- DOE SEL-PD Videos
- School Counseling from a Distance Webinar with Brian Coleman, 2019 ASCA School Counselor of the Year: Insights on supporting students’ academic, college/career, and social-emotional needs when schools are closed or online
- Tips for Getting Involved in Twitter Chats
Diving Into Our Brain & Body Well-Being with Dr. Desautels, from Westfield Washington Schools Parent University – View the recorded sessions here!
- ASCA Annual Conference, July 11-14, 2021 in Las Vegas | Registration
- ASCA U Specialist Trainings
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Specialist Training is FREE to ASCA members and nonmembers!
- ASCA Webinars – All webinars recorded from March 15-August 31, 2020 are free to nonmembers. Some really timely topics include:
- Ethical Considerations: School Counseling in a Virtual Setting
- Virtual High School Counseling: Tier 1 How-to
- Online Safety Education for Kids
- The Power to Motivate
- Ethics on Virtual Counseling
- Harvard Report
- Covid-19 Planning Considerations and Resources: Addressing Staff and Student Mental Health for School Re-Entry
- Indiana Continuous Learning Guidance
- COVID19 K12 COUNSELING
- American School Counselor Association Resources
- CASEL Resources
- Counselor1Stop Coronavirus Resources
- Indiana Department of Education Resources
- COVID-19 Resources for School Counselors
- 5 Star Life Life Video Curriculum: Coronavirus Playlist 2020 – Comprehensive SEL Video Curriculum for schools and downloadable note sheets.
- Helping Children Cope with Changes Resulting from COVID-19
- COVID-19: Five Helpful Responses for Families
- Tips for Working from Home
Equity & Inclusion
- Humanizing Asian Americans in the Classroom Through Children’s Literature
- Let’s Talk About It! A guide for facilitating critical conversations with students from Learning for Justice
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Resources
- Exploring Equity: Race and Ethnicity – The Role that Racial and Ethnic Identity Play with Respect to Equity and Opportunity in Education
- The ASCA U Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Specialist Training is FREE to ASCA members and nonmembers!
- Resources for Educators (compiled by the California Association of School Counselors)
- Resources for Talking About Race, Racism, and Radicalized Violence with Kids (Center for Racial Justice in Education)
- Teaching Tolerance: Race & Ethnicity
- ASCA Race and Equity Resources
- CASEL Resources
- New Jersey School Counseling Association
- Guidance for Facilitating Classroom Meetings on Race
We will continue to add resources so check back often!
- How to Create a Virtual Classroom | Bitmoji Classroom Tutorial | Bitmoji Classroom Tutorials
- Virtual Elementary School Counseling Toolkit (ASCA)
- Virtual Middle School Counseling Toolkit (ASCA)
- Virtual High School Counseling Toolkit (ASCA)
- Ethical Considerations: School Counseling in a Virtual Setting: Part 1 Webinar | Part 2 Webinar
- Course Planning
- Effective Study Skills
- Graduation Plans
- Best Practices for Effective Schools
- How to Engage and Support Urban Students
- Empirical Research Studies Supporting the Value of School Counseling
- Student Engagement Research
- Student Orientation Connected to Successful Completions
- ASCA’s Academic Development video library includes webinars regarding motivating students, using noncognitive skills to improve student success, improving attendance, attitude and achievement for at-risk students, and help students develop executive functioning skills.
- Measuring Impact
- Resource Sharing
- Strategies Shared by Comprehensive Counseling Initiative (Lilly Endowment) Grant Recipients
Counselor Connect Development
The Counselor Connect Steering Committee, consisting of Student Service Professionals and Administrator representatives, assisted in the development of the vision, action plan, and selection of priority topics to be offered through professional learning opportunities. Member expertise will continue to be drawn upon for ongoing support and professional development needs through Tactic Teams.