Counselor Connect is a district-led and championed community of practice, offering high quality professional development, resources, and support for Student Service Professionals to foster the delivery of equitable, accessible, and data-informed services to students in the areas of academic, postsecondary, and social-emotional learning.
January’s Topic: Multi-Tiered Multi-Domain System of Supports (MTMDSS) and Comprehensive Counseling
Each month, we will feature some resources and professional development opportunities to align to our Counselor Connect priority topic!
The Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) is a comprehensive framework to support the academic and behavioral needs of all students. Similar to MTSS and Response to Intervention (RtI), is an adapted version of the frameworks, Multi-Tiered, Multi-Domain System of Supports (MTMDSS), which is aligned to the work of the School Counselor. MTMDSS incorporates a third domain, college/career, in addition to the academic and social/emotional domains included in the MTSS framework. To learn more about the adapted MTMDSS framework, view the video here from Hatching Results.
How does this framework align to Comprehensive School Counseling?
Interventions and support within the MTMDSS framework, including instruction, programming, appraisal and advisement (tier 1), small group counseling (tier 2), and individual counseling and referral (tier 3) align to the delivery component of the ASCA National Model 4th edition. ASCA recommends that 80% of a School Counselor’s time should be spent in direct and indirect student services.
Implementation of MTMDSS and a comprehensive counseling framework, enables educators to provide various levels of intervention and support to meet the unique academic, behavioral, social-emotional, and college/career-specific needs of all students.
Professional Development Opportunities
Here are some curated opportunities to help you support students and families.
UPCOMING COUNSELOR CONNECTS
District & School Leadership that Focuses on Equity & Belonging Series
January 13, 20, 27, & February 3, 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. | Register Here
Am I Still Relevant in the New Normal of School Counseling? How Can Data Help?
Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. | Register Here
The Revised Gold Star Program and Examples of MTMDSS Across Tiers
Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. | Register Here
The SEL Journey Through the Lens of Two Indiana Districts
Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. EST
INTERESTED IN PRESENTING?
We are always looking for educational voices to share expertise, tips, and resources. If you are interested in presenting, co-presenting, or sharing a component of your program, please complete the presenter proposal form here!
Counselor Connects recorded in September 2020 and beyond can be accessed at our OnDemand site.
- Technology Tips (April 20, 2020)
- Communication Strategies During School Closures (May 7, 2020)
- School Reentry (May 21, 2020)
- How Brain Development, Learning and Behaviors are Affected by Adversity, Part 1 by Dr. Desautels (July 24, 2020) Presentation | Recording | Resources
- Resiliency Through the Adversity: Our Brains and Bodies Respond when the Conditions of Safety and Connection are Present, with Dr. Desautels | Recordings (September 23 & 30 2020)
- ASCA U Specialist Trainings
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Specialist Training is FREE to ASCA members and nonmembers!
- ASCA Webinars – All webinars recorded from March 15-August 31, 2020 are free to nonmembers. Some really timely topics include:
- Ethical Considerations: School Counseling in a Virtual Setting
- Virtual High School Counseling: Tier 1 How-to
- Online Safety Education for Kids
- The Power to Motivate
- Ethics on Virtual Counseling
- Harvard Report
- Covid-19 Planning Considerations and Resources: Addressing Staff and Student Mental Health for School Re-Entry
- Indiana Continuous Learning Guidance
- COVID19 K12 COUNSELING
- American School Counselor Association Resources
- CASEL Resources
- Counselor1Stop Coronavirus Resources
- Indiana Department of Education Resources
- COVID-19 Resources for School Counselors
- 5 Star Life Life Video Curriculum: Coronavirus Playlist 2020 – Comprehensive SEL Video Curriculum for schools and downloadable note sheets.
- Helping Children Cope with Changes Resulting from COVID-19
- COVID-19: Five Helpful Responses for Families
- The ASCA U Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Specialist Training is FREE to ASCA members and nonmembers!
- Resources for Educators (compiled by the California Association of School Counselors)
- Resources for Talking About Race, Racism, and Radicalized Violence with Kids (Center for Racial Justice in Education)
- Teaching Tolerance: Race & Ethnicity
- ASCA Race and Equity Resources
- CASEL Resources
- New Jersey School Counseling Association
- Guidance for Facilitating Classroom Meetings on Race
We will continue to add resources so check back often!
- Course Planning
- Effective Study Skills
- Graduation Plans
- Best Practices for Effective Schools
- How to Engage and Support Urban Students
- Empirical Research Studies Supporting the Value of School Counseling
- Student Engagement Research
- Student Orientation Connected to Successful Completions
- ASCA’s Academic Development Resources
- ASCA’s Academic Development video library includes webinars regarding motivating students, using noncognitive skills to improve student success, improving attendance, attitude and achievement for at-risk students, and help students develop executive functioning skills.
- Measuring Impact
- Resource Sharing
- Strategies Shared by Comprehensive Counseling Initiative (Lilly Endowment) Grant Recipients
Counselor Connect Development
The Counselor Connect Steering Committee, consisting of Student Service Professionals and Administrator representatives, assisted in the development of the vision, action plan, and selection of priority topics to be offered through professional learning opportunities. Member expertise will continue to be drawn upon for ongoing support and professional development needs through Tactic Teams.