Black Excellence: 30 Black Hoosier Profiles is a series highlighting notable Black Hoosiers. For the purposes of this series, the Black people featured were either born in Indiana or made Indiana their home for some portion of time after being born somewhere else. Each part of the series will cover six Black Hoosiers.
Educators can use this information during morning announcements, during Black History Month, as a source for research on Hoosiers, or to bolster other areas of the curriculum in multiple subject areas depending on the background of the featured person.
In part II of the series, these notable Hoosiers will be covered:
- Dr. Jerome Adams, anesthesiologist and former US Surgeon General
- Cleo W. Blackburn, educator and director of Flanner House
- Dora Atkins Blackburn, business woman
- Angela Brown, opera singer
- Beulah Wright Porter, educator and doctor
- Lillian Thomas Fox, journalist and activist
- Charlie Wiggins, race car driver and mechanic