Self Regulation – You Can Get Them There
Self-regulation is a critical skill for young people to master, but teaching it can seem overwhelming. This session will help you learn tried and true strategies that help students learn to regulate their emotions and behaviors. Just like teaching anything, teaching self-regulation skills requires explicit instruction, scaffolding, and several methods to choose from. Kara will share her routines and procedures, as well as an extensive tool list. Ideas for in person and virtual learners will be shared. You will leave able to implement something immediately!
Time will be alloted to get started creating some emotional rating cards. If you are attending in person – materials will be provided. If you are attending virtually, you will need the following supplies to take advantage of the work time:
- Various Emoji Faces printed (or you can draw them)
- Hole punch (or pencil/pen to poke a hole)
- Metal rings (1 inch) OR Twistie Ties OR String/Yarn
- Colored index cards/cardstock/blank flashcards (green, blue, yellow, orange, red) – enough for 5 each approx. 2.5 x 1.5 inches
This is a hybrid virtual & in-person event at Region 8, Fort Wayne.
- Understand the mindset needed to assist students with self-regulation
- Understand the vocabulary and process that happens within the brain when we begin to become dysregulated AND gain the skill to confidently teach students the same thing
- Discover routines and procedures and free/low cost tools that can aid students in self-regulation
To register for this event, please complete the form below.