Literacy by Design
Skill Progression Leadership Cadre
Have you reviewed Keep Indiana Learning’s Big Math Ideas and Progression Documents and wondered how these ideas transfer to literacy skills?
Literacy by Design is a program designed for teachers and instructional leaders to study the progression of reading skills and determine how these progressive skills can be useful in building and maintaining instruction throughout multiple grade levels. These documents and standards are filled with information, and classroom leaders need time to review and understand the shifts and changes in reading standards from Kindergarten through 12th grade. This program can develop pedagogical knowledge of literacy skills.
Over the course of 5 days during the year, we will break down grade-level reading standards and review the progression document by working to understand how reading standards call for mastery of specific literacy skills at various grade levels. We will brainstorm ideas to use these literacy progression models to help guide your teachers through the same process. During these 5 in-person days, we’ll explore the documents. Participants will use what they have learned between our meetings and connect it to their practice as instructional leaders. Time during each session will be provided to reflect on what’s working, where there are struggles, and how we can all work together to create spaces for the teachers with whom we work to develop their pedagogical content knowledge!
Who should attend?
If you are an instructional coach, literacy coach, Title I specialist, special education teacher, English language learner teacher, grade level lead teacher, or any instructional leader, this cadre is for you!
SAVE THE DATE!
What to Expect
- Create a cadre of instructors and instructional leaders to want to develop their literacy content and pedagogy knowledge.
- Understand how to support differentiation based on literacy skills mastery and progression.
- Provide opportunities for instructors and instructional leaders to actively contribute to accelerating learning and continuing to address learning recovery by actively engaging teachers in their schools in understanding what skills are needed for authentic reading activities.
- Guide participants in understanding how to build authentic assessments and how to determine next steps, whether it’s remediation or enrichment.
- Contribute to continued work in improving reading scores using the science of reading research in conjunction with literacy progression charts.
- January 17, 2024
- February 14, 2024
- March 13, 2024
- April 10, 2024
- May 08, 2024
All sessions are from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM EST
3500 Depauw Blvd. Suite 2020
Indianapolis, IN 46268
REGISTER TO ATTEND!
3500 Depauw Blvd
Pyramid 2, Floor 2
Indianapolis, IN 46268
Multiple Hotels and Lodging venues located nearby.
Multiple food and entertainment venues located nearby.