Culturally Responsive SEL
Join Stephanie Steward-Bridges, Director of African American Student and Parent Services from South Bend Community School Corporation, as she leads us through a free four-part Culturally Responsive Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) series.
Sessions in this series will allow us to explore the inherently privileged perspective around traditional SEL, explore positive examples of cultural/global responsive SEL techniques, apply inclusive modification skills in a group setting, and positively address any triggers or biases that may arise throughout the process.
- The Power and Purpose of Culturally Responsive SEL – OnDemand
- Participants will have the opportunity to explore the benefits of all SEL practices but will also be provided information regarding the lack of diverse perspectives in traditional SEL practices. The session will explore the privileged view points of traditional practices and how those practices strategically “micro-exclude” certain groups of students.
- Cultural/Global Responsive SEL GC Scored with Dr. Yvonne Larrier – February 23
- This session will explore the dynamic culturally and globally responsive SEL curriculum Cultivating Seeds developed by Dr. Yvonne Larrier. Dr. Larrier is the chair of the Counseling and Human Services department at Indiana University South Bend and the founder of GC Scored a transformational Social Emotional Learning institute.
- Culturally Responsive SEL Modifications – March 16
- Using SEL templates or case studies you will work in small groups to identify the privilege points in traditional SEL practices using templates and then work collectively to make culturally responsive modifications.
- The Power and Purpose of Reflection – April 20
- Through personal reflection participants will be able to positively process triggers and personal bias that might have occurred during the course of the series.
- Demonstrate an increased awareness of the inherent bias of traditional SEL practices
- Identify ways to modify traditional SEL practices to be more inclusive
- Develop a personal awareness of past or present bias that contributes to their current SEL practice
To register for this series, please complete the form below.